Sunday 8 July 2012

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

This is another novel that didn't win the Booker Prize, but it was short-listed.  I haven't read the 2005 winner, but this is a very, very interesting novel, that falls under the genre sci-fi drama.  The three main characters are:  Kathy (narrator), Ruth, and Tommy.   The novel jumps backwards and forwards from their childhoods until the characters are in their late 20s early 30s.  Throughout the novel it is hinted that these "students" are not ordinary people.  We find out as the story unravels just what they are and the destiny that their world has in store for them.  I don't want to say too much because the surprises are worth encountering first-hand.

It's not the most up-lifting novel, but it is fascinating. I bought the book second-hand yesterday at my son's school fair, and wasn't able to put it down.  This is the experience I was hoping for when I started this project and this blog.  I'll be on maternity leave after next week, so hopefully, I can get through a few more books.

Ishiguro is a really good author, I've read another shortlisted book of his, When We Were Orphans, and possibly The Remains of the Day (which did win the Booker Prize in 1989, I'll have to go back and check.)

No comments:

Post a Comment