Sunday 1 January 2012

This ain't no bucket list

This year I turn 40.  I wanted to mark it by doing something that is pleasurable, requires brainpower and stamina, and ultimately benefits me.  No, I'm not thinking of becoming a banker.  (I can't do that in less than one year.)  I've decided I'm going to read all the novels that have won the Man Booker Prize .

I've never counted the books I've read in one year, so it will be interesting to see if I can manage this.  I know many people think that librarians spend all their time reading,  we do read a lot, but that is on our own free time.  With a few exceptions, most of us don't get to sit around and read literature at work.

There are a few reasons I've picked the Booker Prize winners.  First, there are more than 40 books on that list (the Prize was established in 1969).  Second, I've read 3 of the books already, and I know that they are good.  Third, I wanted to read contemporary fiction, including books I might not normally pick up.  Forth, (I hate to sound like a project manager here) you need measurable criteria and a clear beginning and end, otherwise, this will just be one of those great ideas that someone had and never did anything about. 

In general, I think when people make a list of things to do by the time they are such-and-such age and publicly share it, that's just asking for all sorts of criticism.  (For example, on many of these lists people put "learn another language."  That sounds laudable, but to really, really learn a language, I think you need to travel and actually be in another country or culture for some period of time.  To think you can learn a language just by listening to some tapes is like saying you want to be a great gardener, but only getting a house plant or two.)  Also, there are lots of things you may want to accomplish, but like many things in life that are worth pursuing, doing, and/or having, like publishing a book, or getting a house or stating a family, or going on that special trip, there is a lot of luck involved and many things that you have no control of.

So, this blog will not be about aspects of my life I have no control over.  This blog will be about books as I read them this year. I'm blogging about them to make sure I do it, and I invite comments on what other people think about those books. 

Do I have life list, at all?  When I was 22, I did write one.  I'm happy to say that I've done most of the things on that list (as well as things I never thought I'd do) but no, I'm not sharing that list here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose, 40! That came up fast didn't it. What a great goal...fun but challenging too. In looking at the list, I have read quite a few of them including, recently, the newest one The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. I can say that the ones I've read have all been really excellent books that I would recommend. I know that because I can recall each one of them and a lot of the books I read don't stick with me. They haven't been quick reads though rather the kind you submerge yourself in as they take over your life while you're reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen The Sense of an Ending around the book stores here. I may try that one next. I haven't specified an order for these books, and I'll keep it that way. While I'm in Holland I will probably try to post the ones I've read already, that way this blog starts off with something more than a giant wish list. I like the idea that they take over your life. Which one do you think is the best? I might try to save that to read for my actual birthday so I have something to look forward too.

    ReplyDelete